Thursday, April 15, 2010

4-14-10, The Collecting of Hive Three, By Eve


Hive number three was collected at Forest Grove, Pacific University's Drake House Department of Philosophy. Why they chose the Department of Philosophy? Ask a philosopher.



We had to climb high onto the roof to get to it.

This swarm was HUGE. The biggest one yet. It almost completely filled the Warre hivebox.

My Dad climbed up and balanced on the edge the whole time.

Of all the bees in the entire hive, he was lucky enough to come across the Queen.
He sat for a quite awhile, silently staring at the bees. It payed off!
After he tossed the queen into the box, all the other bees slowly filed in.
That lessened the time he had to spend teetering on the roof's edge!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Gathering the new swarm!

Paul on the roof of a home in Forest Grove, OR.

He is gathering what will be hive #3. I told him that three will be the limit that defines the difference between hobby hives and going over that edge.
You know-- just like with cats. Any more than three and you are a crazy cat lady.

The other day he said he wishes he could just quit his job and we can be the crazy-bee-people-on-the-hill. I had to point out that we are already the crazy-bee-people-on-the-hill.
more coming soon on the gathering, etc.
~reenie (the queen bee)

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Winterizing

The third hive opening was on Nov. 15, 2009. The only thing we did to the Langstroth hive was to put some burlap in the top ventilation area. It seemed to me that the bees were concerned with the opening in the top cover board as they were trying to close it with propolis. Hopefully insulating it with the burlap bags will darken the hole and allow for additional warmth. That may keep them happy. I blocked their screened bottom with the insert.

The Warre hive only has the top hive box full of comb so I'm somewhat concerned with them wintering through. I changed the bottom board from screened to solid and removed one of the hive boxes since there was really no need to have two empty hive boxes.

I haven't treated either hive for Varroa just to see what the outcome is in the spring. The last count in the Langstroth was about 25 in a 24hr period. Some websites say that amount is not a problem others say to treat anyway. We'll let the bees decide this winter. If the counts increase in spring I'll treat with powdered sugar.

Saturday, July 11, 2009